Stress is fairly widespread in the modern world, with up to 75% of people experiencing stress in at least once in the past month1. It has been linked to poor health and various illnesses2. Stress is not all bad- it motivates us to take action and how you approach it will determine whether you flourish or flounder. Stress, if handled poorly, can lead to panic, loss of concentration and knee jerk reactions. Under moments of chaos you can bring calm clearheadedness using a simple technique called box breathing.
The technique is simple, it can be done anywhere and for as many reps as you find fit. Even doing one rep can be effective at grounding the nervous system. Here are the instructions for box breathing:
- Sit or stand up right.
- Clear the air out of your lungs. Hold for a count of four.
- Inhale (through the nose is best) to a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of four.
- Exhale (again through the nose) to a count of four.
- Repeat for as many reps as you want.
There are several iPhone and Android apps that offer guided box breathing.
Hope you have a good week embracing the chaos!